Thursday, August 17, 2017

Harry's Ridge at Mt. St. Helens

It seemed like a good time to go for hike on the volcano.  We started in the early morning from the Johnston Ridge Observatory.




There were views of Mt. St. Helens right away


Still pretty barren thirty six years after the eruption






A few trees struggling to survive, but not enough to provide any shade

Beautiful lupines


Our first views of Spirit Lake in the distance


Leaving the Boundary Trail to head north toward Harry's Ridge


More barren fields of pumice and lava

Mount Margaret in the distance



Pearly everlasting flowers letting us know that summer is past its peak







Trail marker for Harry's Ridge

Coming up the ridge

And higher
Mt. Adams and Spirit Lake from Harry's Ridge




From Harry's Ridge, you can see the new dome arising from the crater!

Keith on top of Harry's Ridge, 4752' elevation


Another look at Mt. Adams from Harry's Ridge


And Mt.. Hood faintly in the distance

Plenty of ripe blueberries on the ridge trail




Up close and personal with the lava dome

One last look at the mountain on the way out.


 Easily, this was the best Mt. St. Helens hike we have ever done.

Stats:
Round trip=9 miles
Elevation gain (counting ups and down both ways) = 2000feet
Date hiked=August 16, 2017







4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! I've been wanting to check out Helens for a while now. We are definitely going to copy you on this hike! I especially love the new growing dome, awesome to see the Earth reforming.

Talking Walking said...

I loved that too, and I was so happy that Keith pointed that out to me.

Byron Weigel said...

Great pictures - I especially like the one with Spirit Lake and Mt. Adams in the background.

BTW, did Dad ever see Mt. St. Helens before the eruption? (I'm guessing you didn't, Mom.)

Talking Walking said...

Thanks, Byron. Dad did see Mt. St. Helens before the eruption. He says it was gorgeous and he climbed nearly to the top in about 1969.